Vegan Pumpkin Soup with a Twist2018-11-16
- Servings : 2 Bowls
- Prep Time : 10m
- Ready In : 15m
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
17 people rated this recipe
Here is the perfect simple, fall soup recipe for you which is warm, satisfying and healthy. This soup is vegan, velvety smooth, creamy and made with fresh pumpkin with mushroom topping. The pumpkin soup is thick, subtly sweet and has full of flavors from the spices. This big bowl of a classic, comforting soup comes together really fast and is easy to make.
The mushroom twist in the soup gives that umami flavor. It is also customizable; you can also garnish it with some croutons or vegan cheese or nuts. This pumpkin soup tastes so good on its own and it doesn’t need any additional honey or cheese. However, adding cream adds the extra richness to the soup.
Garnish it with sautéed mushroom “The Twist” to enhance the savory flavor of the soup. This soup makes a delicious lunch or dinner, along with sides of bread and hearty salad.
Ingredients for Soup:
- 1 ½ cups – Fresh Pumpkin, diced OR Roasted Pumpkin Puree
- 1 cup – Water or Vegetable Stock
- ¼ teaspoon – Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice, click to see recipe
- 1 tablespoon – Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice
- 1 clove – garlic (Optional)
- 1 tablespoon – Vegan Milk or Cream (Optional)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Ingredients needed for Garnish:
- 1 teaspoon – Virgin Olive Oil
- 100 grams – Mushroom (Any type of mushroom), cleaned and sliced
- 1 tablespoon – Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For Garnish: Heat oil in a frying pan; add mushrooms and sauté on medium-high flame until golden color and cooked through. Turn off the flame and add salt & pepper. Keep the Mushroom Garnish aside for later use.
For Pumpkin Soup: In a pot; add water, diced pumpkin, salt and pumpkin spice mix. Boil and cook until the pumpkin is completely cooked and mushy. Turn of the flame once cooked.
Carefully blend the pumpkin mixture with a Kitchen-aid hand blender or a Vitamix until smooth.
Now, turn on the flame to medium heat and boil the soup once again. Adjust the seasoning now.
Add Milk or Cream to the soup and turn of the flame immediately. Also, add black pepper and orange juice and stir the soup.
Plating the Soup: Spoon the sautéed mushroom at the middle of each serving bowl. Gently, pour the hot pumpkin soup around the mushroom.
Garnish the soup with pumpkin seeds, black pepper and serve it immediately. Enjoy!
- Sweetness level and Fat content: Personally, I prefer do not prefer to add honey/sweetener or cream/milk to my soup.
- Vegan: Use any plant-based milk or cream, like almond, soy, cashew or coconut.
- Garnish Option: Alternatively, can garnish soup with shaved parmesan cheese and toasted walnuts or pecans.