- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 5m
- Cook Time : 6m
- Ready In : 15m
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
19 people rated this recipe
Khandvi is a popular and delicious healthy snack from the Gujarati cuisine. Khandvi has a really soft & silky texture that melts in your mouth. Khandvi is smooth thin layered rolls of spiced & seasoned gram flour and sour curd with an aromatic tempering.
Making Khandvi in a traditional way is a little tricky and hard to get it perfect. Here is my version of simple, quick and deliciously khandvi recipe in a microwave. It calls for a few ingredients and gets ready in just 6 minutes. Note: please use exact measurements for making this Roll Khandvi get it correct.
Ingredients for Khandvi Batter:
- 1 cup – Besan (Gram Flour/chickpea flour), sifted
- 1 cup – Sour Curd / Yogurt
- 1 ½ cup – Water
- 1 teaspoon – Ginger-Green Chilli Paste
- ¼ teaspoon – Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- Tiny Pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
- 1 teaspoon – Butter / Oil
- 2/3 teaspoon – Salt or add as required
- ½ teaspoon – Red Chilli Powder (For sprinkling inside while rolling the Khandvi as filling/stuffing, optional)
Ingredients for Khandvi Tempering/ Seasoning:
- 1 tablespoon – Oil
- 1 teaspoon – Mustard Seeds (Rai)
- 2 teaspoon – White Sesame Seeds (Til)
- 8-10 – Curry Leaves (Kadi Patta)
- 1 – Green Chilli, chopped
Ingredients for Garnishing:
- 1 tablespoon – Freshly Shredded Coconut (Optional, I have not used)
- 1 tablespoon – Coriander Leaves, Finely chopped
Clean the countertop thoroughly as we will spread the hot khandvi batter later. Alternatively, you can use a plate to spread and roll the khandvi.
Preparing Khandvi Batter: In a big microwave safe bowl, add gram flour, curd, salt, ginger-chili paste, turmeric powder, Asafoetida and butter. Mix it well using a wire whisk and make a thick paste.
Now start adding little water at a time, make lump free batter. This will look like a thin and smooth batter. (Alternatively, you can also use hand blender or processor to make it easier) Taste the batter to adjust the spice and salt level.
Cooking Process: Place this bowl in the microwave and set on high for two minutes. After 2 minutes, take the bowl out of the microwave and whisk the batter in one direction to make smooth thick paste.
Now place this bowl again in the microwave for four minutes. After 4 minutes, take the bowl out of the microwave and whisk the batter well in one direction. Now the Khandvi batter is ready.
Making Khandvi Rolls: Now be quick & don’t let batter cool and set. Spread the batter on prepared countertop or plate with a spatula. Make thin layer as possible as you can. Thinner the layers easier it will be to roll the khandvi. If you spread it thick then it will be hard to roll and might break.
Let the batter layer cool for 2-4 minutes. (Note: you can add stuffing at this step. Read below for the filling options). Then make straight cuts using a knife and make about 2 inch wide strips.
Now is the time to roll these khandvi very carefully and gently. Transfer these rolls to a serving plate
Preparing Tempering - Heat oil in a small pan, add mustard seeds and let it crackle. Thereafter, add sesame seeds and chopped green chillies. Turn of the flame. Now add curry leaves carefully as it will splatter hot oil. Pour this hot tempering over soft roll khandvi.
Garnish it with fresh coriander leaves and shredded coconut. Enjoy!
- Stuffed Khandvi: You can stuff/fill the Khandvi with above tempering OR shredded coconut & coriander leaves OR red chilli powder OR grounded black pepper. Start rolling the Khandvi after spreading the filling over the thin layered batter on the plate/countertop
Thank you, Ami aunty, for this easy Khandvi recipe! Instant recipe for this generation 🙂