Healthy Chocolate Chip Biscuits2018-11-29
- Servings : 24 Biscuits
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 20m
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
18 people rated this recipe
Chocolate chip biscuits are always a treat for all. This is my version of a healthy cookies recipe with Whole Wheat Flour, Oats and Ragi Flour. This recipe is also great for those looking to bake egg-free and refined flour free biscuits at home. Nowadays many of us prefer millet flour, whole wheat flour or multi-grain flour over all-purpose. These chocolate chip biscuits are kids Approved! Kids loved these delicious tasting healthy Chocolate Chips biscuits; so why compromise on health and buy store-bought? Trust me, homemade biscuits are always better and easy to bake. You can pack these healthy yet enjoyable biscuits in kids snack box.
It makes an ideal snack for weight watcher as Ragi & Oats is a perfect healthy combination. You can easily substitute sugar with Jaggery or honey and dairy butter with coconut butter. It is easy to make in big batches and store these chocolate chip biscuits in an airtight container for about 15-20 days. This can also be delicious tasting gifts during festival season (Diwali, Thanksgiving or Christmas).
Click here to customize your cookies with different flavors – Pistachio Cookies, Coconut Cookies etc.
- ¾ cup – Whole Wheat Flour
- ¼ cup – Ragi Flour (Finger Millet Flour)
- 1 tablespoon – Cocoa Powder
- ¼ cup – Organic Oats (Raw or Whole)
- ½ cup – Sugar (Brown or White)
- 1/3 cup – Cold Unsalted Butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoon – Milk
- ¼ cup – Chocolate Chips
- 1 teaspoon – Vanilla Extract
- ½ teaspoon – Baking Powder
- A Pinch of Salt
In a big mixing bowl, mix wheat flour, ragi flour, oats, sugar, cocoa, salt and baking powder. (Whisk all dry ingredients well)
Now add cold butter cubes to above dry mixture. Using fingers mix cold butter with the dry flour to combine and make a sandy texture. Break all the butter cubes to combine well with the flour this will add the flaky crunch to the biscuit
Mix vanilla extract & chocolate chips to above sandy buttery flour mixture. Start pouring milk little by little and knead the flour to make tight dough. Do not add all milk at once; add as per required.
Optional step: Cover the dough and refrigerate it for 10 mins.
Meanwhile, prepare the baking tray with parchment paper lined on it. Turn on the oven to pre-heat at about 180C/350F
Knead the dough one final time and start rolling the dough with help of rolling pin. Roll to the thickness of around ½ centimetre or desired thickness
Once the dough is rolled evenly it is time to cut the biscuit with the help of cookie cutter (I have used round cutter, you can use any size and shape). Repeat the above step for the remaining biscuit dough.
Once all the biscuits are done place them on the baking tray with a parchment paper keeping enough distance between the biscuits.
Bake these biscuits in the oven at 180C/350F for about 15-20 minutes or till the biscuit starts to change its color.
Turn off the oven and take out the baking tray with biscuits. Let the biscuits sit in the tray for 5 minutes and then gently transfer biscuits on cooling track. Let them cool down completely.
Healthy & delicious chocolate chips biscuits are now ready to be served with hot milk/coffee/tea. Enjoy!
Tips & Tricks:
- Butter: Use Cold butter (Cold butter will dent when you press it). Do not use melted butter.
- Milk: Do not use warm milk; instead it should be either cold or at room temperature.
- Adding Milk: Always add milk slowly while making the dough. Otherwise, the dough will become too soft, sticky and will get difficult to roll. In case if dough becomes too soft and sticky; cover the dough and refrigerate it for 10 mins
- Bake: Keep a close eye on biscuits when in an oven to avoid it from burning. Once biscuits are out of the oven; always allow the biscuits to rest for around 5 minutes on baking tray. Then one by one remove and place them on a cooling rack and let it cool down completely before storing it. This help biscuits to retain the crunch and lasts longer.