Doodh Poha / Flattened Rice Kheer2018-09-24
- Servings : 3-4
- Prep Time : 5m
- Cook Time : 15m
Average Member Rating
(4.6 / 5)
18 people rated this recipe
This is a traditional Indian Poha Kheer recipe prepared and served on Sharad Poonam (Full-moon night in October). It is rich and healthy yet light (low-fat) Flattened Rice Sweet Pudding. It is made with soaked flattened rice & boiled milk (dudh) and topped with healthy nuts and spices like nutmeg, cardamom, and saffron. It is super quick and easy to make any time.
It is loaded with all the goodness of nuts, spices, and milk. It has a significance to eat doodh (Milk) Poha on Sharad Poonam, according to Ayurveda, the “Pitta” or acidity aggravates at the end of the monsoon season. By eating this milk pudding on this night it neutralizes the pita as milk is cooling food. The moonlight on this night is believed to possess amazing medical and nourishing properties which rejuvenate the body.
Sugarless Kheer recipe is available below – Check here to read.
- 500 ml – Milk (2% or Low Fat Milk)
- ¼ cup or less – Brown Sugar or Jaggery
- ½ cup – Soaked Poha, wash and drain the water
- Few strands of Kesar (Saffron)
- ¼ Teaspoon – Cardamom Powder
- Pinch of Nutmeg Powder
- 15 – Pistachio, slivered
- 10 – Almonds, slivered
- Cashew nuts, Raisins (Optional)
In a pot, bring milk to a boil and then add soaked flattened-rice. Keep stirring occasionally to avoid milk from burning. (Milk starts thickening)
Add Saffron, Cardamom and Nutmeg powder along with nuts and sugar. Let milk boil for another 10 minutes, stirring it in between. (Milk will thicken)
You can serve it hot or let it cool down completely and refrigerate for a few hours. Garnish Doodh Poha with more nuts and it tastes amazing when served chilled. Enjoy!
- Sugarless Recipe: Substitute sugar with fresh Dates pulp (Khajur paste) and raisin. Sugar-free Kheer tastes even better than the regular recipe.
- Milk Fat Level: 2% or Low- fat milk tastes equally good. You can also use full-fat milk
- Nuts: You can add your choice of chopped nuts